Submit a description of your approved topic by using the APA format to:
- create a title page (see syllabus Appendix A).
- describe the context (setting) for your topic (problem) to include sub-headings:
- the community
- the school
- all school, community, district, or county identification attributes will remain anonymous
- Identify the approved topic
- Describe your topic rationale (include a data table to support the problem)
- Explain how research ethics will be followed with your proposed topic
- Cite and reference your work.
Assignment #1: Topic Description (10 points) (Due Weeks 1 & 2)
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is for you to apply what you have learned about selecting a critical need/problem to be your “topic,” explaining the context for the topic, identifying a rationale for your topic selection, and showing how you will use research ethics for investigating the topic.
Part A Proposed Topic (2 points; Due Week 1)
Submit your proposed topic and briefly explain why you selected this topic.
The topic must be related to improving student outcomes. Use data to support your rationale. .
Grading Rubric for Assignment #1 Part A Topic Description (2 points) Elements Gradations of Quality
Excellent Met Expectations Expectations Not Met
1. Identifies the proposed topic (1 point)
Presents an appropriate topic concisely. The topic is clearly related to improving student outcomes. (1point)
Presents an appropriate topic related to improving student outcomes. (0.75 point)
Proposed topic not submitted, not appropriate, or vague/incomplete. (0-0.5 point)
2. Expresses the rationale for selecting the topic (1 point)
States logical rationale concisely and completely, with supporting data (1 point)
States a logical rationale
Missing, vague, incomplete, or inappropriate rationale (0-0.5 point)
Page 6 of 23
Part B Context for Proposed Topic (8 points, Due Week 2)
Directions: Submit a description of your topic by addressing the specific criteria liste