If you would like to write your essay on another topic, send me an INBOX message with subject “Essay Topic” and explain a bit about what you want to write on and we’ll discuss it.
Follow the ASA Writing guides (see your Resources module).
Review the essay grade rubric before you begin. Review the rubric again before you submit your essay.
Make sure your essay (cover page, essay, references) are in ONE Word document. You may only submit one file. Do not submit a draft or incomplete file.
Choose one topic from the Topics page.
- Do you agree with Marx that the establishment of a communist economy would create a more humane society? Why have modern attempts at communism (U.S.S.R., China, Cuba, etc.) not produced a more humane society? Is capitalism inherently unable to foster true equality within a society
- If Durkheim is correct – that crime is normal in any society – then why do we spend time and money to combat it within our society? Or does the fact that we spend time and money on a contemporary prison-industrial complex support Durkheim’s ideas?
- Whose account of religious experience do you find most convincing – Marx, Durkheim, or Weber’s? Why? In addition, contrast Marx’s idea of false consciousness with Weber’s belief that religion fills a psychological need for both the fortunate and less fortunate in society.
- Do you think the contemporary family structure is the root for gender inequality within the United States today? Why or Why not? Do you feel women are inherently “nurturing” with an instinct toward love and service? Does this instinct interfere with a woman’s ability towards logic, reason, and decision making?
- Research a feminist group. What activities does the group sponsor, what literature do they support (or reading lists they may prepare) and find out whether they have a mission statement. What challenges does the group contend with in attempting to meet their goals. Connect the group’s activities, ideas, and goals to those written by Gilman. Also discuss any additional ideas and authors you were exposed in your research.
- Discuss the role of spirituality and religion play on race within the United States. Discuss whether you feel it helps to integrate or divide citizens by race. What role does power/politics play within this discussion?